According to Ancient Indian Medicinal Scripts dating back to 500 BC, zinc oxide was first used in a burn and wound salve called Pushpanjan. Zinc Oxide has been used for many years in the skin care industry due to its numerous non-toxic benefits. It can be found in over-the-counter and RX acne treatments, calamine lotions, as a dietary supplement and in broad spectrum sunscreens. Most know it as the thick white paste like diaper rash ointments or on surfer's and lifeguard's noses.
However, in 2008, researchers recreated zinc oxide to be larger in size. Why did they do this after the way it had been used for thousands of years? Non-nano Zinc Oxide, that is not micronized, safely sits on top of the skin as a protective barrier reflecting the sun's UVA and UVB rays without seeping into our pores and bloodstream. While offering broad spectrum sun protection it addresses skin rashes, and if a quality sunscreen is formulated properly, non-nano zinc will not leave behind a thick white film on your skin. The physical mineral SPF is known to be the safest compound to protect in a wide range manner, but is not without controversy.
Although zinc can be found in nature, it is not naturally occurring. To form a white crystallized powder it is chemically heated and combined with oxygen molecules which are later vaporized. As of date, the FDA has only approved 8 sunscreen compounds and we feel zinc is by far the safest of them all. For us, the benefits of Non-nano Zinc Oxide as a broad spectrum ingredient in our Sweet Sun Screen 30 SPF outweigh the risks of participating in outdoor activities without proper protection against the negative effects of the sun. When compared to harsh chemicals in conventional sun care that are known to cause numerous issues including hormone disruption, some chemicals have the ability to soak into our pores. In addition, chemicals can heat up the skin causing excess sebum and breakouts. Non-nano Zinc Oxide is the route we chose for the benefits listed below.
What are the benefits of Non-nano Zinc Oxide for skin and sun care?
- Broad spectrum sun protection that scatters UVA 1, UVA 2 and UVB sun rays
- Approved for use in the ocean, won't bleach coral reef formations or harm marine life
- Protects against sunburns, skin cancer, UV skin damage and dark sun spots
- Only FDA Approved Sunscreen For Babies (Consult Doctor For Babies Under 6 Months)
- Improves wounds and burns while preventing bacterial infections
- Lowers skin inflammation in rashes and allergic reactions
- Helps in the treatment of acne and regulates the production of sebum
- Well tolerated on sensitive skin
- Lessens inflammation in skin conditions such as Rosacea
- Forms a barrier that locks in moisture for dry skin
- Aids enzymes that may support collagen production
- Is used as an effective anti-aging agent
If you have concerns about applying harsh chemical sunscreens on your skin all summer long, we suggest "Sweet Sun" Screen SPF 30, that is lightly scented with 100% USDA Certified Organic Fragrances and formulated with antioxidant-rich Organic Nut and Seed Oils, Fair Trade Raw Ivory Shea Butter and Certified Organic USA Beeswax. Our broad spectrum UV reflecting Non-nano Zinc Oxide Sunscreen is water resistant for 40 minutes. As a fair skinned gal, nothing moisturizes better and works quite like it to allow me to stay in the sun for 2 hours per application without a sunburn. With the current bans on chemical sunscreens in Hawaii, Key West and parts of Mexico, you will not have to give up your sunscreen when entering an ocean with coral reef formations. This happened to me in Cancun 10 years ago, however it was when I started crafting our Organic Sun Care - YEA!.
Vanilla Latte "Sweet Sun" Screen
- 100% USDA Certified Organic Fragrances - No Essential Oils
- Available in Banana Frappe, Pina Colada, Passion Punch, Vanilla Latte and Strawberry Slush
- Kid Safe SPF 30 Protection
- Leaping Bunny Certified Brand - No Animal Testing
- Gluten Free Ingredients
- Antioxidant Anti-aging Sun Care
- Fantastic For All Skin Types Including Sensitive Skin
- Feels Like Body Butter On Your Skin
- Water-resistant 40 Minutes